HOW TO INSTALL THE AUDIO ONLY AUX ADAPTER IN YOUR TOUAREG'S AUDIO ONLY PLUG IN THE NAVIGATION RADIO:
1 piece AO type cable similar to those shown below:
Click here to for details on how to purchase any of these items.
CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL THE CABLE OPTIONS.
4 pieces, radio removal tools, which I now offer.
Depending on where you want to route the cable to you may need a drill with a bit large enough to accomodate the end of the Radio Shack plug you bought.
Logic and explanation
The Touareg Navigation system has two inputs. One is audio/video. The other is audio only. The audio only input already has a connector in the plug. However, the portion of the connector that is for the audio is empty. So with the cable you have purchased, you can fill the connector with right +, left + and common ground. Here is the plug details. The audio only plug is in the upper left hand corner of the photo and the markings are EA-R, EA-L and EA-G. This plug also accepts the telephone audio on TEL AF+ and TEL AF-.
Here is a photo of the actual plug in its green plug body.
Radio removal and Installation of wires in the plug
1) Insert the longest end of radio removal tools with the taper facing in towards the center of the radio into the slots shown here:
2) IMPORTANT: DO NOT UNPLUG ANY CABLES FROM THE RADIO! With all 4 tools in and locked in place, gentely pull on the tools and the radio should come out.
3) Work the radio and the two attached cables all the way out and lay the radio on a towel or blanket on the center console.
4) Remove the radio removal tools by pressing on the 4 brass tabs on the side of the radio just behind the tool slots.
5) Locate the green plug body, squeeze the tab on top
and pull the plug out.
6) Lift the little tab on the green plug body and slide the black plug out of the green body.
7) Insert the red wire (AOM) or blue wire (AOF) into the hole next to the brown wire, the bare ground wire next to the grey wire, and the white wire next to the bare ground as shown here. BE SURE THAT THE LITTLE POINTED SIDE OF EACH CONNECTOR IS FACING OUT SO IT CLIPS INTO THE CONNECTOR AND STAYS!!!
Photo below shows the ground wire not completely inserted into the plug. BE SURE TO PUSH THE THREE CONNECTORS ALL THE WAY IN TO THE PLUG!
ALSO BE SURE TO PUT THE PUT THE CORRECT WIRES INTO THE CORRECT HOLES -
Red wire into EA-R
White wire into EA-L
Ground wire into EA-G
8) Slide the connector back into the green plug body.
9) Push the plug back into the radio.
10) At this point I would suggest plugging in the Y adapter and an audio source (CD or MP3 player) to test the system.
Turn on the radio, select AUX and audio only AUX.
Then turn on your audio source and hit play.
You should get stereo sound over your car's speakers.
11) Now route the wires to the desired location:
out from under the dash
into the glove box by drilling a small hole into it
or even into the center console box
12) Gentley push the radio back in, careful to feed all the wires in properly without disconnecting any.
The radio will click back in place when it is flush with the rest of the dash.
13) Press AUX button twice.
14) Select AUX (A).
15) From now on when you want to play something through the AUX, you only need to hit AUX button one to enjoy your upgraded sound system.